job listingsContact MAGCS to submit your listing or phone 630-685-2420.
Glencoe Golf Club
Village of Glencoe
621 Westley Road, Glencoe, IL 60022
Educational Requirements: Two to four-year degree in Turfgrass Management or related field.
Qualified candidates will have the following:
- Three years of experience in turfgrass maintenance and daily golf course operations in a supervisory role
- Ability to obtain an IL pesticide applicator license
- Capital experience with irrigation and drainage projects; landscape and hardscape project experience a plus
- Ability to train/supervise/schedule a crew of up to 15 in a safe and efficient manner
- Mechanical ability to assist with equipment in the off season
- Cool season turf grass experience with poa annua and bent grass varieties
- Ability to manage the course and grounds in the absence of the Superintendent
- A desire to advance within the turfgrass industry
- Strong attention to detail, passion for excellence, professional manner and a great attitude
- Spanish speaking preferred but not required
- To help ensure our employees' safety, we conduct background checks, pre-employment physicals and are a drug-free workplace.
- Ability and willingness to work long hours; days, evenings, weekends and holidays as demanded by business cycles. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Calibrate and perform applications of pesticides, fertilizers, and seed; including the proper documentation of all applications, and the safe handling and storage of all pesticides and fertilizers
- Supervise and participate in the set up and monitoring of irrigation system, pump station and all related duties
- Scouting course conditions using IPM techniques
- Mechanical ability to assist with equipment in the off season
- Provide input on projects, budgets, staff development, employee evaluations, discipline and termination issues and wage increases, and the hiring of new employees
- Ensures a safe and clean working environment and that all company policies and procedures are followed including compliance with government regulations
- Assists in personnel management and evaluation, employee safety and personnel discipline
- Assist mechanic as needed; mechanical knowledge/ability a plus
- Performs all other related tasks as deemed necessary by management
- Must possess valid driver’s license
Benefits: Provided: IMRF pension, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Vacation/Holiday/Sick Pay, Uniforms, Dues, Golf Privileges. Section 125 Pre-Tax elections, Flexible Spending and 457 Plan also offered. Salary Range $45,000-$54,000 DOE
Golf Course Mechanic
Wilmette Golf Club Wilmette, IL
The Wilmette Golf Club was originally designed by Joseph Roseman and opened in 1922. It has been owned and operated by the Wilmette Park District since November of 1972. The Wilmette Park District oversees 300 acres of parks and facilities including Lake Michigan beach front, ice rinks, tennis, paddle courts, aquatic center, fitness center, and all related programs, camps, and activities.
The Wilmette Golf Club is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated team member who is willing to embrace all aspects of golf maintenance to enhance today’s golf experience. The ideal candidate will be motivated, resourceful, and innovative with a proven track record of driving results. Candidates should be able to demonstrate their ability to adapt and problem solve while also successfully exercising independent thinking skills.
- Three to five years of experience as an Equipment Technician or Assistant Equipment Technician
- Extensive knowledge in Hydraulic and Diesel systems
- Proficient in the understanding of electrical schematics and trouble shooting
- Working knowledge of the theory and care of reel and bed knife grinding preferred
- Demonstrated strong written, verbal, interpersonal & communication skills
- Embraces daily use of technology and the ability to evolve with modern day practices
- Excellent attitude with a bias towards action
Why Work at Wilmette?
The Wilmette Park District continues to be dedicated to the future of golf and the maintenance operation. Our facility recently acquired a new fleet of mowing equipment including new greens mowers, tee mowers, and fairway mowers. The shop is outfitted with a lift and modern day automated grinding equipment. Our vision is to progressively elevate golfing conditions and the golf experience while also maintaining facilities that rival our neighboring public and private clubs. Our vision for the Wilmette Golf Club begins with a well-managed shop.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Oversees and manages the entire maintenance shop operation
- Maintain the fleet of equipment and all related cutting units in a manner that meets modern day golfing expectations
- Develop and implement a preventive maintenance/ repairs schedule for all related tools, vehicles, and equipment
- Responsible for ordering and purchasing of all parts and equipment
- Organize and update a detailed equipment/fleet inventory and capital replacement schedule
- Manage and monitor equipment supplies and repairs budgets
- Work with Golf Course Superintendent in developing annual operating and capital budgets
Compensation and Benefits:
- Annual compensation, negotiable depending on experience
- Health, Dental, and Life Insurance
- Participation in Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF)
- Annual vacation and sick time
- Professional membership association dues covered
- The park district provides a comprehensive benefits package including access to all park district amenities and programs for you and your family
The Equipment Technician will Report Directly To: Nick Marfise, Golf Course Superintendent
Please Email Your Professional Paper Work To:
Human Resources and Risk Manager
Wilmette Park District
Date Posted: 9/13/19
DOWNERS GROVE PARK DISTRICT
JOB DESCRIPTION – ASSISTANT GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT
About the Downers Grove Golf Club:
As America’s first 18-hole golf course, the course was completed in 1892 and was one of five founding clubs of the USGA. Currently, the 9-hole course still has the original holes including 2, 4, 7, 8 & 9. In 1968, the course was purchased by the Downers Grove Park District and named the Downers Grove Golf Club.
The Golf Course Assistant Superintendent assists the Superintendent in the overall maintenance and care of the golf course, including turf/grass management, irrigation, equipment, and chemical applications to ensure high quality playing conditions. Supervises seasonal personnel and participates in the maintenance of the golf course tees, greens, fairways, and cart paths including applying relevant landscaping, horticultural principles to ensure that quality standards are consistently achieved. Adheres to the maintenance budget and capital plans. Serves in the Superintendent capacity during absence.
- Assist in the development of the annual maintenance budget and operating plan. Implement the plan according to District procedures to ensure cost containment.
- Plan and implement staffing schedules to ensure quality standards are achieved at minimum employee cost.
- Assists in the responsible care of greens, fairways, tees, roughs, trees, related ground and buildings to ensure quality standards are maintained.
- Evaluates course irrigation, fertilizer application, turf conditions and makes and participates in improvements.Makes recommendations and purchases.
- Assist in equipment repairs, maintenance and care of greens, fairways, tees, roughs, shrubs, and trees.
- Assists the Superintendent in making recommendations for improvements in all areas of golf course maintenance and development of annual budget.
- Assists the Superintendent in the keeping of records.
- Planning and implementation of maintenance schedules and management procedures.
- Supervises the maintenance staff, and is responsible for all golf course maintenance in the absence of the Golf Course Superintendent.
- Participates in staff meetings, staff development sessions and continuing education opportunities as required.
- Perform daily maintenance tasks to the golf course.
- Adheres to District safety rules and procedures and directs subordinates to exercise safe work practices.
- Implements the crew schedule, provides training to new staff, supervises seasonal crew as necessary.
- Plans for budget and operations, discuss projects, equipment and building repairs and snow removal.
- Follows PDRMA safety rules.
- Minimum Associate’s degree with emphasis in agronomy or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum 5 years work experience in the position of Assistant Golf Course Superintendent.
- Must possess a valid Illinois driver’s license.
- Must possess or be willing to obtain a commercial pesticide applicator’s license.
- Knowledge of golf course maintenance practices, including care and planting of trees, shrubs, and other plant material, and treatment of grass for prevention and cure of turf diseases.
- Preference for mechanical repair and basic golf knowledge.
- Must be independent, show initiative, and be able to communicate effectively and to work harmoniously with others.
- Must have ability to exhibit good judgement, tact and courtesy in dealing with the public.
Salary and Benefits
- IMRF Retirement benefit, Blue Cross/Blue Shield Health Insurance, Dental and Vision Insurance, Fitness Center Membership with access to all Park District Classes, Optional 457 contributions with 15% Employer match, GCSAA Membership dues, Uniform allowance.
- Vacation time, personal days, and paid sick days.
Application deadline: September 13th
Position Start Date: October 21st
Responsible to: Jeff Pozen, Golf Course Superintendent
E-mail Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Downers Grove Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Date Posted: 8/22/19
Ball Horticultural Company
622 Town Rd., West Chicago, IL
Interested candidates email resume to: email@example.com
The overall responsibilities of the spray technician include, but are not limited to: turf applications of fertilizer, pre and post-emergent herbicides, and insecticides; herbicide applications to non-crop areas; specialty fertilizer applications to flower and vegetable crops, as well as perennials and shrubs when necessary; pesticide applications to flower crops, vegetable crops, perennials, small trees, and shrubs; possible aquatic and mosquito control applications. Other responsibilities may include some pruning and deadheading, scouting for pests, assisting with plant layout and planting, and soil and water sampling.
The spray technician primarily functions autonomously from the crew. Strong self-motivation and a keen sense of detail in record keeping, application techniques, and application amounts are a necessity. The individual considered for this position should possess an affinity for mathematics and geometry for determining proper square footages and application rates. A knowledge of common weeds, insects, annuals, perennials, and woody plants would be welcome. Must currently hold or be able to obtain a pesticide operator’s license within 60 days of beginning employment. The ability to carry a backpack sprayer for several hours and move 50lb bags of fertilizer is needed as well.
The spray technician does not need extensive knowledge of pests and plant material, nor to know the proper chemicals used to combat pests or augment plant material. A basic understanding with the propensity for learning and development is more important.
This position reports to the Plant Health Care Supervisor and is a seasonal position with the possibility of job sharing with the greenhouse, lab, or seed distribution departments. The PHC Supervisor will direct the details of the technician’s day to day activities and will hold ultimate accountability for what is applied to what areas. The PHC Supervisor also holds the pesticide applicator license in any and all categories necessary to conduct applications in accordance with state and federal laws. The technician will work closely with the PCH Supervisor to determine the best course of action to solve whatever issues present themselves.
Date Posted: 7/29/19
White Eagle Golf Club is a private golf club located in Naperville, IL, established in 1989 and designed by Arnold Palmer. The club consists of 27 holes, practice facilities, four clay tennis courts, and a pool. We are currently in the middle of an entire renovation to the club in which Liebold Construction/Irrigation is building all new bunkers with Better Billy Bunker Liner with Pro Angle sand. New green irrigation loops are being installed around each green complex along with new collection areas and (2) new greens will be rebuilt. The first (9) holes were completed in June with the second (9) holes being worked on currently and the last (9) holes will be completed in September. This will be a great opportunity to jump in and be apart of construction and see how the process works.
Qualifications: The qualified candidate will possess a turfgrass certificate, A.S., B.S., or M.S. in turfgrass management or a related field. 3-5 years of experience and supervisory skills preferred. Bilingual communication skills are a plus. Candidate must understand the game of golf and be an excellent communicator. We need an individual who is an effective problem solver under pressure, requiring little supervision. Ability to plan, organize and execute goals set forth by the club as well as your own personal goals to advance in the industry. Detail oriented individual willing to do what is necessary to get the job done at a high level. Willing to work with and train a motivated candidate with high aspirations that may not meet experience requirements.
Job Duties: Work in conjunction with the superintendent in all aspects of our agronomic and management approach
- · Daily scheduling, supervision, training of staff
- · Assist superintendent in weekly priority scheduling
- · Manage projects including upcoming course alterations according to Drew Rogers’ master plan
- · Uphold grounds facilities to the highest standards of cleanliness and organization
- · Water management, irrigation operation and repair, plant protectant applications, horticultural duties
- · Assessment of all playing surface conditions
Compensation: Extremely competitive (Dependent on Experience),health and dental insurance, professional dues and continuing education, uniform allowance, Christmas bonus, meals, golfing privileges.
Jim Canning, Golf Course Superintendent
White Eagle Golf Club
Date Posted: 7/2/19
ASSISTANT IN TRAINING-GLENCOE GOLF CLUB
The Glencoe Golf Club is a highly regarded public golf course that strives to offer private club conditions. The AIT will work closely with the Superintendent on a daily basis as well as with the crew. The AIT will help in training and leading of crew members during day to day maintenance as well as course projects. Will gain experience in tee and bunker restoration, landscape planting, and decorative stonework. This is a FULL-TIME YEAR-ROUND POSITION WITH BENEFITS.
2-year turf grass management degree (related field) or currently enrolled in turf grass education program.
Must have ability to obtain Illinois Pesticide Operator license within one year of hire.
Applicant must have at least two years of golf course maintenance duty experience, possess a valid driver's license, and have some experience in landscape/construction. Ability to communicate in both English/Spanish is preferred but not required.
This position will prepare an individual for professional success at the first assistant level. The AIT will work closely with the Superintendent in all aspects of golf course management including but not limited to water management, pesticide/fertilizer calibration and application, irrigation maintenance and repair, equipment operation, and managing crews on daily assignments. Candidates must possess the fundamentals of golf course maintenance and have the desire to learn the necessary skills to become a golf course superintendent. We are searching for an individual that is extremely driven, eager to learn, and willing to put in the time in order to gain the experience necessary to succeed. We will train the Assistant in Training in all facets of golf course management and provide them with the necessary tools to be successful.
Full time year-round hourly position includes Blue Cross Blue Shield medical insurance; dental and eye insurance. IMRF pension. Overtime, uniforms provided, golf practice/playing privileges.
It is the policy and practice of the Village to hire, promote, and compensate employees, and to administer all employment practices in accordance with applicable law, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, disability, or any other protected category. Furthermore, if you believe that you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job or complete an application, please notify the Assistant Village Manager.
Salary: $18.00-$20.00 Full-time year-round position with benefits.
Job Application Instructions: Submit resume and cover letter to Dave Arden, Head Superintendent
Date Posted: 5/22/19
JOB TITLE: Equipment Technician
DEPARTMENT:Grounds REPORTS TO: Director of Grounds
DIVISION: Golf SUPERVISES: N/A
SUMMARY: The Equipment Technician is expected to assist with the inspection, diagnosis, repair and maintenance of all pieces of turf management equipment to the highest degree of dependability and performance, with the emphasis on precise quality of cut
The Equipment Technician shall strive to provide exceptional service to both internal and external guests at all times. S/he will be responsible for exemplifying the Oak Brook Hills Resort Culture as well as promoting Oak Brook Hills Resort.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Inspects, diagnoses, repairs and maintains all pieces of turf management equipment to the highest degree of dependability and performance with the emphasis on precise quality of cut.
- Assists with the appropriate scheduling of preventative maintenance, prioritized repairs, reel set up, help with golf course maintenance and snow removal when needed
- Troubleshoots all equipment
- Maintain a preventative maintenance program on all equipment
- Submit requests for purchase of repair parts and replacement supplies
- Maintains a clean, well-organized shop with safety the highest of priorities.Follow a clean-as-you go policy; ensure that work sites are broom clean at the end of each job and at the end of the day.
- Assists with golf course special projects
- Operate equipment in the field to check performance
- Supervise daily operator equipment check prior to operator use
- Assist in maintaining golf cart fleet and beverage carts as needed
- Complies with all resort’s policies, procedures and safety regulations
- Maintains a strong knowledge of emergency procedures
- Learns to operate all pieces of equipment
- Assist with daily mowing as needed
- Provides general resort information for guests
- Interacts with resort staff in a professional manner, assisting other departments when necessary
- Always maintains a professional demeanor and attitude.
Associate is held accountable for all duties of this job and other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- High school education or equivalent required
- Minimum of two years of appropriate schooling, training or experience preferred
- Minimum of two (2) years in a similar position preferred
- Must be a United States citizen or possess a valid work permit
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings, weekends and holidays
- Must have a valid driver’s license and meet company driving standards.
- Must have a strong technical gasoline and diesel engine background.
- Excellent equipment operation skills.
- Must have excellent mechanical understanding and ability.
- Must be able to work well under pressure
- Must be able to accurately follow instructions, both verbal and written.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must be able to effective teach and train staff.
- Must be professional in appearance and demeanor.
- Must have excellent listening skills.
- Lunch provided while on duty
- Golf as tee times permits
- Hilton Hotel discounts world wide
- Uniforms provided
- Medical/Vision/Health Insurance/Vacation/Personal/Paid Holidays/ 401K after 1 year
WORKING CONDITIONS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While primarily an indoor job, must also be able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions (rain, wind, snow, cold, sun & heat);
- Must be able to stand & walk throughout the day, occasionally on uneven surfaces;
- Must be able to frequently lift, push, pull & carry up to 25lbs, occasionally up to 50lbs and very occasionally up to 75lbs with assistance.
- Must be able to bend, squat, crawl, kneel & twist on a frequent basis, sometimes for prolonged periods.
- Must be able to perform simple grasping, squeezing, fine manipulation and repetitive hand & arm movements frequently; overhead reaching occasionally.
- Must routinely work with solvents.
- Must occasionally work with solvents and in an area with exposure to noise and dust.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow other instructions and perform other work-related duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Contact: Matt Senatra, Director of Grounds
3500 Midwest Road
Oak Brook Il 60523
Date Posted: 5/15/19
Odyssey Golf Course in Tinley Park IL. is currently looking for a Spray Tech/Irrigation.
This position will pay $17.00 Hr. plus overtime.
Motivated individual to apply chemical and fertility applications all year round. Knowledgeable in irrigation a plus. Help out when needed in the daily operations and maintenance of the golf course.
- Must have Illinois pesticide license
- Be willing to work overtime if needed.
Please contact William Humphres Golf Course Superintendent 1-815-355-5588.
Date Posted: 5/14/19
National Accounts Manager - Turf
Spectrum Technologies, Inc.
This position is located in Aurora, IL and will report to the Vice President – Sales & Marketing. This position will be responsible for developing and growing Spectrum’s business in the domestic Turf market through, 1) exceeding sales targets for existing Turf distributors, 2) identifying and develop new distributors, 3) developing the business with RainBird golf irrigation distributors, and 4) growing business with Golf Course Management companies.
View complete job description.
Date Posted: 4/10/19